Sunday, February 21, 2010

Backseat Gourmet Borscht


The Recipe: Borscht (Just Like My Baba's) from Blog Aid: Recipes For Haiti. The recipe was contributed by the blog Backseat Gourmet and can be found here.

The Substitutions: Not a thing. I didn't use the ham bone, which was optional. I used half water and half chicken stock. So it's not strictly vegetarian, but I think veg stock or all water would still turn out deliciously.


The Verdict: Delish! I've been hankering to make borscht for ages, but I'm not sure if I ever actually have (if I have, it was years ago). As a good Ukrainian girl (well, 1/4 Ukrainian), I figure I should have it in my repertoire. Plus, our organic food delivery frequently drops off large bags of beets. So, after receiving my Recipes For Haiti book the other day, I saw that the borscht was the first recipe in the book and I hopped to it.

I like the simplicity of this soup and while it was time consuming (though, I roasted the beets the night before), it was easy. And very nutritious. I loved every bite, though the rest of my crew were a little skeptical, mostly because it just seemed a little weird to them. I think next time I'll add a little extra dill and eat the whole pot myself.

1 comment:

  1. I roast the beets the night before too. Perfect to pop in right after dinner.

    ReplyDelete