Monday, May 10, 2010

Spring-Vegetable Couscous With Chicken


The Recipe: Spring-Vegetable Couscous with Chicken from the May 2010 Everyday Food (not yet online).

The Substitutions: I used the whole chicken rather than just the dark parts.

The Verdict: You know when you're craving something nice and light and spring-like but can't bring yourself to just eat a salad for dinner? Or is that just me? Either way, this little dinner fits the bill. Plus it's super fast and easy, provided you don't mind cheating with the chicken prep.

I'm always surprised when the Martha Stewart people -- employees of a woman who would rather starve to death than eat a pre-made pie crust -- are so hot on using roasted deli chickens in their recipes. I'm usually not much of a deli chicken person -- they kind of freak me out, all roasty and tasty-smelling, sitting in their plastic boxes in the grocery store. But I also like the idea of eating a meal that contains roast chicken without actually having to, you know, roast a chicken. So, if you are into buying a deli chicken, hot in the box, this meal can be whipped up in no time flat.

And it is rather yummy. The couscous has an amazingly lemon-y flavour, which makes for that springtime feel. You cook the asparagus in the couscous, which means that it's not overcooked at all and is very crisp to the bite. It wasn't substantial enough or bombastic enough in flavour to satisfy my hungry-man husband, but I'll definitely try it another time when he's not around. Or for lunch. It would make a great lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment