Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken Mole


The Recipe: Chicken with Mole Sauce from Jamie Oliver's Jamie's America

The Substitutions: I went light on the chilies. Because I'm a wimp.

The Verdict: Heaven. Heaven, heaven, heaven. I love mole sauce, though individual mole sauce tends to really vary from recipe to recipe. I don't know if this recipe from an Englishman is the most authentic mole around, but it was pretty easy to make and tastes amazing. I boiled a whole chicken to go with it and that worked out just fine too. I also made the flatbreads that appear in this book and... well, they were a huge failure. Huge. I am just not good at that kind of thing. But it didn't really matter because the mole was so good.

Next time (oh, and there will be a next time), I think I'd put some extra cinnamon in it, and I was happy with the decreased heat (it was still spicy, just not uncomfortable). One word of caution: this recipe is huge. It makes way more mole sauce than one chicken can handle. I froze it and reused it one night with a deli chicken and it proved to be way more than a second chicken could handle. So go ahead and make it, but freeze it in individual portions to stretch it out. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment