Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chocolate Black-Bottom Pie


The Recipe: Chocolate Black-Bottom Pie from the November 2010 issue of Everyday Food. Recipe online here.

The Substitutions: I used filberts instead of macadamias. I also used bourbon instead of rum, because that's the way I roll.


The Verdict: Delish. I was a little worried about this one because it's not a chocolate cream pie -- it's a chocolate ganache pie. Meaning you essentially melt chocolate with cream and pour it into a pie crust. Sounds a bit rich, no? And it was, but since this was part of our week of Christmas celebrations, I figured it would be okay.

While I did find it a bit overwhelming, this went over like gangbusters at our dinner party. I think it would be better with macadamias, but the filberts did just fine. One word of warning, though: if you make this, make sure that you have a lot of people coming over. This is not a family dinner kind of pie and it is so rich that you probably won't want to have to deal with the leftovers the next day. But for special occasions, this is super easy to make and you can't go wrong with pure chocolate and booze.

No comments:

Post a Comment