Monday, August 2, 2010

The Cooky Book: Chocolate Drop Cookies


The Recipe: Chocolate Drop Cookies from Betty Crocker's The Cooky Book

The Substitutions: Didn't frost them. Used butter instead of shortening. Added chocolate chips (as per one of the alternate variations).

The Verdict: Not bad. At first I thought these ones were a huge failure because I had a heck of a time getting the baking time correct. The butter I used may have been a bit too soft because these suckers spread like crazy and were not cooked in the middle even when I used the max. suggested cooking time. The second batch, I overcooked (of course), but they weren't bad if you like your cookies crunchy.

My long-suffering family appreciated the fact that they're chocolate in flavour and didn't care about the degree of under or over cookedness. I will say this: modern recipes are a lot more generous when it comes to chocolatey goodness. If this were a Martha Stewart recipe, there would have been at least twice as much chocolate added in. As it stands, the chocolate taste is barely detectable in this recipe, which is why adding chocolate chips was a wise move. And my cookie jar is almost already empty, so I'm chalking this one up as a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment