Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Cooky Book: Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies


The Recipe: Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies from Betty Crocker's The Cooky Book

The Substitutions: Per usual, I subbed butter in for shortening. I also skipped the raisins (hated in this household), skipped the nuts (not allowed at school) and added in some chocolate chips (so people would actually eat them). Since the recipe required simmering the raisins and then adding the cooking water to the mix, I mixed a little bit of maple syrup into some water and put that it. All of this worked out just fine.

The Verdict: This is the first recipe I've tried from The Cooky Book that seems just like a family favourite. The yield was huge (five dozen, maybe?) so I froze half of them and the fam are still happily eating them up. The spiciness of the cookie actually works pretty well with the chocolate and the dough makes for a nice firm oatmeal cookie -- not too dry and not too moist. These are a classic. If I ever make it all the way through the book, I may just make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment