Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Cooky Book: Molasses Jumbles


The Recipe: Molasses Jumbles from Betty Crocker's The Cooky Book

Substitutions: butter for shortening, per usual. I also went for the suggested lemon version.

The Verdict: I was not particularly looking forward to this recipe. It's one of those weird wartime ration recipes that requires very little butter and no eggs. It also requires a lot of molasses. A lot. As a result, it has that weird flavor that only someone who grew up with wartime rations could love. Or so I thought. While I took one bite and spit the rest of the cookie into the sink, my kids can't get enough of these. Despite there being no spice in it (which makes me think that the alternate version using spices might be much better), my daughter says they taste like Christmas gingerbread, which in turns reminds her of Santa, which makes her feel a sense of delight. My two-year-old son eats them with gay abandon. Maybe I'm raising old souls. Or maybe kids love molasses. Or maybe my kids are weird. Either way, there's no way I'm ever making these horrid little cookies again, but they do get two tiny thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment